The society follows the boiler test procedure developed jointly by the Southern Federation of Model Engineering Societies, The Northern Association of Model Engineers (N.A.M.E.), and the 7 1/4" Gauge Society.
The society is planning to hold a number of boiler testing days each year, and members wishing to have a boiler test performed should phone 01626 362488 to arrange attendance at one of these days.
Please note that a maximum of five boilers will be tested on any one day, so please ensure you let the boiler test team know of your requirements well in advance. Requests will be dealt with on a strict 'first come, first served' basis.
The dates of these days can be found on the Meetings page.
The testing will follow strict rules, as follows:
- Testing to be conducted at Worthy Moor only.
- The number of hydraulic and steam tests is limited to five per session.
- Testing slots must be pre-booked with Tim Clark ( 01884 253826).
- Boiler owners must provide their own masks (gloves and hand sanitiser supplied by TDMES).
- Engine / boiler owners must not enter site earlier than 15 minutes before the appointed time.
- Where the owner requires assistance from the inspector to unload heavy equipment, protective equipment must be worn as it is unlikely that the 2 metre distance can be maintained.
- The owner will prepare and present the boiler ready for inspection then retire to permit the inspector to work.
- The designated area for testing is the covered steaming bay.
- One hour will be allowed for each test for preparing, testing, blowing down, dropping grate and cooling down and packing up.
- On conclusion of the test the inspector will retire to enable collection while the certificate is completed.
- The owner must leave site or withdraw to a safe location well away from the steaming area when the boiler test has been completed. (A track run after testing is not permitted, because of the tight schedule).
A full list of the boiler testers and their contact details is on the Club forum in the "Club Documents" section (restricted to members only).
- Masks, gloves and hand sanitiser for use as appropriate by the Inspector will be provided
- For the duration of the pandemic restrictions, one boiler examiner is allowed to work alone.
To comply with insurance requirements, the Northern Association has been notified.